November 07, 2007

Elephants and Hippos

These things come in three. First we lost Porter Wagoner, then Robert Goulet. Now, country singer Hank Thompson has passed. Thompson was 82 years old and had only canceled a tour last week. He had been diagnosed with aggressive lung cancer just two days earlier. Between 1949 and 1974, he had 29 songs reach the top ten. Perhaps his most memorable was “Walk on the Wild Side” which contained the line “I didn’t know God made honky-tonk angels.” Since we’re in Christmas mode, I won’t post any of Hank’s great country ballads like “Hangover Tavern,” “He’s Got a Way with Women,” of “You’re Going Back to Your Old Way Again.” Luckily, we have a Christmas tune by the man in the vault. This is an obvious response to Gayla Peevey’s classic “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas.”

I’d Like to Have an Elephant for Christmas – Hank Thompson

I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas – Gayla Peevey

No comments: