November 21, 2006

A Bundle of Joy

It’s raining, it’s pouring… The eastern coast of the Carolina has been getting hammered with rain and wind for two days and it seems that it will continue for a few more. Definitely not Christmas weather. So, what better way to spend a cold, blustery night than listening to Christmas music.

Please check out the “In the Bleak Midwinter” post from a few days ago. Many of you complained about problems listening to the tunes. I’ve uploaded the songs again and relinked the songs. If they don’t work this time, let me know, and I’ll have to try to figure out what’s wrong. I downloaded them and they played fine for me. But do check out the song, it’s beautiful. Sorry about the technical problems.

As for today, well, where to begin? I’d like to clear out some of the modern tracks. On Friday, expect to see some more of the classic Christmas songs—it is the official start of the holiday season! So, here’s a few newer tracks, along with a couple oldies.

I’ll Be Home for Christmas – Sarah McLachlan

Another track of her great Christmas album. McLachlan’s voice never ceases to amaze me. Check out her version of “In the Bleak Midwinter” below.

I’ll Be Hone for Christmas – Aimee Mann

Check out her new Christmas album. It’s a throwback to the sounds of the 40s and 50s. I’ve loved Mann for years and her melancholy vocals work well for this song.

Everything’s Gonna Be Cool This Christmas – E

I love the Eels. For my money, Blinking Lights and Other Revelations was one of the best albums of 2005. There are beautiful songs on there. This is a bit of a rarity done under E, rather than the entire band.

Christmas is Canceled – The Long Blondes

I guess you classify The Long Blondes as punk, a genre I usually don’t love. I love the edgy drums in this song, and there is something here that reminds me of the girl groups from the 60s.

Christmas Time Blues – Trainwreck Riders

Adding some twang to the holidays, this isn’t the happiest of Christmas songs, as you could probably guess from the title. But it’s catchy and has some grit on it.

Blue Christmas – Bright Eyes

Indie rock’s golden boy is hit or miss for me. I love the youthful exuberance but loathe the self-indulgence. This is a faithful rendition of the classic.

Reindeer Boogie – Hank Snow

Now we’re talking some music! I’ve always maintained that songs are better if they include: 1.) handclaps; 2.) a rock organ; 3.) the word “boogie” in their title. Hank Snow, a great country artist, adds some swing and fiddles to Christmas. This is a fun ho-ho-ho-down of a Santa tune.

Deck the Halls – The Caroleers

A few posts ago, I gave a shout out to Music You (Possibly) Won't Hear Anyplace Else. Here’s another great tune originally posted there. Check out the site, there are some gems on there. This is a great, lethargic version of “Deck of the Halls.” Reminds me a bit of A Christmas Story.

It Won’t Be the Same This Year – Vince Gill

Okay, I know he’s a contemporary country artist. When I was a kid, I used to hate Vince Gill—I thought his songs were all too slow. However, in the past few years, I’ve grown to really love his voice. This song was written after the death of his brother. For anyone who’s lost a loved one and faces the holidays, they can relate to this song. It's a heartbreaker. Thanks to Trav for pointing me toward it.


Discovering 77 Santas late? Want to hear a song with a deadlink? Post a request and we’ll get it up back up for you.

No comments: