July 19, 2007

Oh Baby It’s Christmas All Over Again!


Happy Christmas in July. As promised, 77 Santas will be doing a little feature over the next few days doing what we love—posting Christmas songs. PC is busy this summer so we’re only going to hear from his once, but it promises to be a killer full-album post of something special.

In the meantime, I’ll be posting some Christmas mix EP’s. Not quite as long as a full mix CD and better than just a few songs, you can expect six or seven songs a day until July 25, when I’ll pull all the stops and do something special. We’ve compiled a sleigh-full of goodies and I’m trying to save some of the best for November and December.

Enjoy Christmas in July kids! The real day ain’t too far away!


Christmas In July: Day One

Greensleeves – Eddie Layton
This slow-burn version of Greensleeves, or What Child Is This, features organs and bells, creating something as enchanting as it is haunting.

Hark the Herald Angels Sing – from the A.V. Bornard Collection of Music Box Medley of Christmas Songs
Yep, that’s an old-time music box playing this song. It reminds me of an amusement park. If only everyone loved Christmas as much as us, there would be a Six Flags North Pole.

Jolly Old Saint Nicholas – Roy Drusky
I’m quite a fan of classic country music. Drusky delivers a solid and bouncy rendition of this song, one of my favorites that I remember singing as a kid.

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town – The Harmony Grits
Not as incendiary as Elvis but it’s close. Really, it’s very close. The lead vocals are so full of passion—I love it. This guy means it! Santa is coming!

Please Daddy (Don’t Get Drunk This Christmas) – John Denver
When I first saw the title, I thought it’d be a humor song. It’s not.

Silent Night – Huey “Piano” Smith & the Clowns
Never heard anyone tear into the old standard quite like this. A rocking version that’s a great summer groove.

It Came Upon A Midnight Clear – The London Philharmonic Orchestra
I love classical performances of Christmas songs. This is one of my favorites and a beautiful way to end our first day back.

No comments: