December 20, 2009

I was a fool, I covered my ears


Wow! Overwhelming responses to our call for songs! We'll do our best. You all suggested quite a few we don't know or have yet, but that's what makes this little workshop of ours so great. Here's my post for tonight. I'll answer some requests here the best I can, and throw in a bundle of others in hopes that that's fair trade. Keep the requests coming, though. At least until Tuesday, when we (I think) shut down for the year. I'm done tomorrow.

Christmas Wrapping: The Waitresses

An Old Christmas Card: Jim Reeves

The Little Drummer Boy: Harry Simone Chorale

Christmas in Prison: John Prine

Father Christmas: The Kinks.
Oh, the Kinks.

I'm not the biggest fan of novelty songs. JV can attest to this. Many a night he's had to withstand my crazed rants against novelty songs. This one's ok with me, as is the one we're named after:

Dominic the Christmas Donkey: Lou Monte

JV has yet to post the video link to this, but I love this song:

Suzy Snowflake: Rosemary Clooney
. Is this a novelty song? "Do I contradict Myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I am large. I contain multitudes" Walt Whitman, retired Mall Santa and patron saint of the walkers.

I'll end with a few "non-traditional" numbers, but great this time of year nonetheless.

Wish I had A River: Joni Mitchell

Winter's Come and Gone: Gilian Welch

Last Snowstorm of the Year: Low

Winterlong (Live)
: Neil Young and Crazyhorse


PC

No comments: