December 16, 2006

Some Corn for Popping

Wow, how to follow up JV's farewell posts? I'll do my best. I will begin with my top ten newly discovered Christmas songs, in no particular order.

Andrews Sisters: Christmas Island

JV and I are in agreeance on this one!

Bill Monroe and His Bluegrass Boys: Christmas Time's A-Comin'

Damn straight it is!

Etta James: Merry Christmas Baby

Merle Haggard: If we make it through December

Good God Merle Haggard is amazing.

Ray Conniff Singers: Here We Come A-Caroling

Rosemary Clooney: Suzy Snowflake

The Crystals: Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Marvin Gaye: I Want to Come Home for Christmas

How relevant is this song still? Then again, it's Marvin, who's forever relevant. This is hands down one of my all time favorite Christmas songs, and I wish I had heard it sooner.

John Fahey: Medley: The Holly and the Ivy/The Cherry Tree Carol

I wonder what John Fahey dreamt about.

I don't know if this is ten, but what the hell. Here's some more goodies:

Jackie Wilson: It Came Upon a Midnight Clear

Canned Heat: Christmas Blues

Try, try again

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles: Jingle Bells

Dylan considers Smokey the best American poet ever. What do you think?

Lena Horne: Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

Seriously, let it. What's with this 50 degree crap?!

Diana Ross and the Supremes: Joy to the World

Spinal Tap: Christmas with the Devil

There's a fine line between clever and stupid

More to come, including my Top Ten Favorites ever, and much, much more!
Safe travels to you JV! Thanks again for the gifts, you kind soul.
PC

No comments: