November 25, 2007

I Wish I Had A River

How about seven Christmas songs on your Sunday? Many of these songs reflect the weather here today: cloudy, dreary, frigid, and damp.

In the coming weeks, I can’t promise the regular posts I’ve had the past several weeks. I start a new 9-5 job tomorrow and it will definitely affect my blogging schedule. Usually, I strove to update the blog by noon on weekdays, but now it will likely be in the evenings (at least EST time—there are no many international readers, I don’t know this affects you). More than likely, my weekday posts will grow smaller. Less writing, maybe a fewer number of songs, but I will try my damnedest to get something up every single day. However, if I’m missing a few days, you’ll know why. I know PC has done his best to get songs up on a regular basis, but that guy’s busy too—and also a writer.

Oh Come, Oh Come Emanuel – John Fahey
Once again, let’s start things off with a master guitarist.

O Come O Come Emanuel – Sufjan Stevens
Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice. Great rendition by Sufjan off his Christmas box-set.

Little Drummer Boy – Mark Kozelek
For a man who can make even AC/DC songs sound spare and melancholy, did you expect his version of “Little Drummer Boy” to actually feature some cheer? Nope. Acoustic and chilling.

River – Sarah McLachlan
I’m gonna make a lot of money and then I’m gonna quit this crazy scene.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas – Andre Gagnon
Truly one of the most downbeat holiday songs ever recorded. This is a beautiful instrumental version.

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – Death Cab for Cutie
This is a band that’s hit or miss for me. Luckily, this one hits. Sure, it’s not Darlene (no one is) but it’s more laidback and pared-down.

Silent Night, Christmas Blue – The Tractors
A bluesy little number that features a soothing organ throughout.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job. We have been enjoying your site immensely.

Anonymous said...

Stick to your guns, it is inspiring.

Powerhouse posting happening here. Astounding. Happy 'official' holidays.